Sunday, January 4, 2009

Quote that Fits!

While reading "Great Books" by David Dunby I came across a great quote that sums up the reason for this blog and how I would like to affect change in people; "the unlived life as spectator". He was referring to his own life but I think it captures the tendency in our culture to be caught up in things that, in the final analysis, amount to frivolous wastes of time.

I, personally, waste time watching tv, sorting and saving useless ephemera as well as a bit too much time on the computer. These 'activities' usually leave me upset with myself for not doing something productive, creative or active. So I try to limit these times and I am way happier and content when I DO something. Of course there are times when I am too tired to do much else so I vegetate in front of the boob tube and hope I find something that holds my interest. I like educational (nature, gardening, history, science) shows. Yes, you are correct in your assumption... I detest 'reality' shows. I prefer my own reality of experiences.

Finally, I do not want to be lying on my back staring a light in a hospital some day with regrets about all the things I never got to do.

No comments: