Saturday, February 5, 2011

Barriers

Most of us build up barriers to exercising or just getting out and doing things. Fear of the unknown is a big one. It is so much more comfortable to be in your home/apartment/cave.

My personal battle with barriers are multi-dimensional. While walking this morning I realized how I kept myself from walking much when my back was bothering me and not realizing at the time that it would have helped my back to walk more. How stupid is that for a physical therapist?!? The walk I took this morning was only about 2.5 miles but 6-7 years ago was not in my mental picture of what my back would allow me to do. The past month I walked 9 or 10 miles on a rail trail in the center of Washington State. Yes, I still have a bit of a problem and I know my current real limitations but that doesn't mean that I can't improve some more with regular exercise, weight loss and strengthening.

Yesterday's barrier was more of a mystery to me. I was feeling down for many reasons and I just moped around feeling sorry for myself. At dusk I finally went outside and walked just a quarter of a mile and it made a difference. It literally cleared my head and I then became motivated to do SOMETHING. That included dinner with my wife, viewing various art venues downtown and coming home and working on my drawing skills. It was weird like a switch being flipped and the 'real' me was back, enjoying life!

1 comment:

Anali & Peter Wills-Gresham said...

Nice post Pop!

I know everyone has those down moments, usually just brain chemicals. I definitely agree that a little exercise can release endorphins and get you back on track.