Sunday, April 20, 2008

What is Wrong With the Weather?

It snowed yesterday. Just a few flakes while the sun was shining. It was a bit cold out but the clouds were big, puffy and unpredictable. They made the sky stunning to look at and made it appear like a constantly shifting miasma of form. Not something to be missed.

All this week the weather prognosticators were predicting varying amounts of the white stuff for this weekend. I enjoyed telling people that I was rooting for at least 4.2 inches of snow so we could break the record for the snowiest season in Spokane history. When I said this, listeners (or more properly, toleraters) eyes would glaze over and I got varying outcries of woe. This is the end of April, for crying out loud!

Last weekend we had a brief spat of warm, mild weather. When I went to softball practice last Saturday there were people everywhere practicing sports, biking and doing yard work. Yesterday I went to the same location with about 42 degree temperature and no one was out and about! Bravo! to the two couples that I saw out hiking today while I was doing the same thing.

I guess I just don't understand why people get so worked up over something they have no control over. I would rather enjoy the moment and revel in the churning nature of spring weather. 'If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute' is never truer than this time of year . That being said, I hope my wife doesn't read this because I have been known to grumble when 3 months of hot, dry weather descend and ubiquitous dust blots out the horizon.

Call me crazy but I enjoyed applying a fresh pungent coat of linseed oil to my new raised beds while the snow flakes were occasionally swirling about my head or sticking to my nose! The clouds were awesome yesterday and provided constant entertainment.

No comments: